In the heart of Moscow, the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the deadly attack on a mosque in the Russian capital’s Moskovsky district, where at least one man was killed and dozens were wounded.
The Islamic State, also known as ISIS, claimed responsibility via a video posted on social media.
“We offer our condolences to the victims and their families,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a statement.
“The world cannot allow terrorists to return to their land.”
The suspect in the attack, who was believed to be in his late 20s, fled to Syria on Thursday after being apprehended, Russian news agencies reported.
The Russian foreign ministry issued a statement saying it was in contact with local authorities, adding that the Russian government was working to find out what had motivated the attack.
The suspect was captured by the authorities in Syria, the ministry said.
The attack comes as Moscow is also looking into whether the mosque attack was the work of the Islamic state.
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said in an interview with Russia’s Vesti TV that authorities were looking into the possibility that the suspect was affiliated with the terrorist organization.
“There are indications that he’s affiliated with an ISIS group.
But we don’t know if he is, so far,” Sobyanen said.
Moscow has been a hotbed of terrorist activity for years.
In 2015, an Islamist extremist drove a truck through the Kremlin and wounded more than 30 people, killing one Russian.
In the following months, authorities cracked down on the country’s growing radicalization of youth and teenagers.
The country’s Islamic State affiliate, which has carried out more than 20 attacks since it emerged in 2014, has claimed responsibility.
Russia’s foreign ministry said that Russian forces are currently engaged in a counterterrorism operation against the extremist group in Syria.
“In this operation, Russian forces have been using a large number of ground troops in Syria against the ISIL terrorists,” the ministry added.
The government of President Vladimir Trump has called for greater cooperation between the U.S. and Russia.
The White House said in March that the U,S.
had launched a drone strike against a suspected Islamic State leader in Syria that killed his son, a senior official in the White House’s National Security Council said at the time.
“President Trump called with his Russian counterpart for the U to help the Russians in Syria,” NSC spokesperson Caitlin Hayden told reporters at the briefing.
“He has said that the United States will not allow Russia to be dragged into the fight.”