post-image

The Islamic State’s “mosque gunman” in Lebanon killed himself in the past year

Multimedia

In an interview with Al Jazeera Arabic, a Hezbollah commander in Lebanon who goes by the name of Muhammad al-Saud confirmed that he was responsible for the killing of two members of the Muslim Brotherhood, the political and religious organisation that has been a target of Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) attacks in recent years.

Al-Soud said the killers of the two members were members of Hezbollah, but they were “not members of Hamas or any other organisation”.

Al-Shabab, a Somalia-based group that has pledged allegiance to IS, claimed responsibility for the attack on the two men, which took place on May 24, 2018, in a video posted online.

“We have avenged the killing and the death of these two brothers in revenge for the massacre of them [in Lebanon],” the group said in the video, which was translated by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Al Shabab has also claimed responsibility in the killing in an online statement.

In a statement released on Friday, al-Shabaab said the two “deserted the holy shrines of [the Muslim] Brotherhood” in order to “destroy the infidels”.

“They were killed in their graves.

Their martyrdom was an act of jihad and of God’s love,” al-Haj al-Bunni, the head of the group’s political office in Somalia, said in a statement.

“Our people were humiliated, humiliated and humiliated for years.”

The two brothers were identified by Al Jazeera as Omar Hassan al-Dhahab, from the south-eastern province of Beit Hanoun, and his brother Abdallah.

Both were shot dead in the head, and were buried with their bodies at a cemetery in Beit Lahiya.

In another video, the two brothers, who had been studying at an Islamic school in Beita, were shown being shot with a gun.

Al Jazeera’s Sami Aboud, reporting from Beirut, said that the two killed brothers were also known to the Lebanese army.

“It’s possible that they were part of the military intelligence,” Aboud said.

Al Nour, the Lebanese news website, reported that the men were killed during an operation in the Beit Hawra district in the northern province of Bekaa.

The Lebanese army said it was not yet aware of any connection between the two killings and that the Lebanese armed forces were working to locate the killers.

It said that its forces were investigating the case.

Hezbollah has been under pressure from the United States, which has accused the group of backing IS in Syria.

The United States has imposed sanctions on Hezbollah in recent months.

“The Lebanese Hezbollah is part of a military intelligence network in Syria,” said Brigadier-General Hassan Abdelaziz, head of Lebanon’s defence ministry.

“That network is responsible for planning, coordinating and supporting the operations of terrorist groups and supporting terrorists in Lebanon,” Abdelazaziz added.

The US, which launched airstrikes against IS in Iraq in 2014, has been keen to find a solution to the problem of the IS group.

“At the moment we are looking at ways to stop the flow of foreign fighters to Iraq and Syria, which are not under Lebanese control,” White House spokesman Ned Price said.

“There is a real opportunity here to bring stability to Syria, and that includes eliminating ISIL [ISIS] from Lebanon,” he said.

The White House also announced that the United Nations and the European Union have imposed sanctions against Hezbollah for its role in Syria and the region.

In May 2018, Hezbollah announced it would hold a joint session with its Lebanese ally, the Palestinian group Hamas, in an effort to build closer ties.

The two sides will discuss how to confront IS, and will discuss ways to cooperate with regional powers such as the UAE and Egypt.

Tags:
, , ,